WAN Optimized Off–site Disaster Recovery Protection
Permabit Replication is designed to address operational and compliance requirements for the replication of information to one or more remote sites. A dedicated access node leverages Permabit’s Scalable Data Reduction™ (SDR) technology to ensure that replication is both fast and efficient.
Permabit’s built–in replication offers a wide range of flexibility. Each volume on a Permabit Enterprise Archive™ can be replicated to any other remote site. This enables a variety of replication configurations.
- At its simplest, an enterprise can have a single live site, and a single disaster recovery site. All data is available in a read–only form at the DR site, and can be promoted to being live with a single mouse click.
- A larger business with two active sites can have each site use the other as a disaster recovery standby, eliminating the need for a dedicated DR system.
- An enterprise with many remote offices can deploy a single, consolidated DR site to which all other systems can replicate. Permabit’s SDR identifies duplicate data from multiple sites, greatly reducing the storage requirements at the central DR facility.
Replication and Scalable Data Reduction
Through the combination of SDR compression and deduplication, Permabit’s systems enable enterprises to cost–effectively accelerate WAN replication. When a replication event occurs, only the compressed data that has not been previously replicated is written to the remote system. In a many–to–one scenario, if the same data is replicated from multiple systems, that data will only be written once to the central replica site. For large businesses with multiple branches, this can result in substantial performance benefits over traditional WAN acceleration schemes. In addition, Permabit replication provides advanced levels of data protection to ensure that archive data is always accurate and recoverable.
- WAN Optimized: Leverages SDR for data deduplication and compression before data is transmitted to a remote site.
- Point–to–Point Replication: Allows for replication from a primary site to a secondary site for disaster recovery scenarios. Any active volumes on the secondary site can be replicated back to the primary site for an extra level of redundant protection.
- Many–to–One Replication: Allows for multiple sites, such are remote sites, to be replicated to a single site, such as a data center, for remote site disaster recovery scenarios.
- Asynchronous Replication: Replication can be scheduled to occur as frequently as every five minutes.
- Volume Level: Replication can be configured at the volume level providing flexibility in determining which data requires off–site disaster recovery protection.
- Single–Click Promotion: Replicated data can be promoted from read only to live with a simple mouse click.
- Eliminate the need to back up the Permabit Enterprise Archive by automating off–site disaster recovery protection saving time and providing very high levels of user availability.
- No reliance on third party components. Replication leverages built–in technology.
- Minimum bandwidth impact due to replication that leverages Permabit’s advanced SDR technology for data deduplication. No duplicate data is sent across the wire, reducing line costs and traffic.
- Flexible configuration supports any scenario: One–to–One, Many–to–One.
- Granular controls allow replication to be configured at a volume level allowing flexibility in only replicating data that must have disaster recovery protection.