Albireo for Enterprise Flash
Flash technology is a rapidly growing segment of the storage industry. Flash delivers the I/O performance that enables storage to keep pace with the speed of server processors and closes the performance gap between storage and processor performance. A number of storage offerings leverage the I/O performance of flash technology to store and/or cache performance sensitive, mission critical data.
As the cost of flash technology has become more affordable applications of flash solutions have emerged such as:
- Enterprise Flash Arrays – Arrays that house tens of terabytes of flash storage and address the needs of performance intensive applications.
- Enterprise Flash Cache Solutions – Hardware or software based solutions that use flash to provide high performance for active (hot) data and migrate low use (cold) data off to less costly, traditional mechanical storage.
- Solid State Devices (SSD)- Typically one of two form factors to deliver flash I/O performance:
- Traditional Disk Drive - These units provide a traditional drive form factor and support industry standard SAS/SATA interfaces. Performance for these devices is typically limited by interconnect, but they can be easily deployed in existing storage solutions.
- PCIe – This addresses the I/O latency gap between traditional storage SAS/SATA interfaces and flash by delivering PCIe-based solutions.
Over the past few years, the cost of storage performance has dropped significantly. When data optimization (deduplication and compression) technologies are applied to flash technology, the effective costs become even more aligned with spinning disk storage. Vendors are just beginning to offer data optimization (mostly deduplication) in these environments today, as data optimization (deduplication and compression) becomes the enabler that closes the cost and data safety gaps that have been inhibitors to more widespread adoption. Deduplication technology designed for spinning disk-based primary or backup storage does not readily apply to devices based on flash technology. Permabit Albireo VDO or SDK for Enterprise Flash has been designed specifically to meet the demands of these I/O intensive devices using patented technology and algorithms that optimize resource efficiency in solid state environments.
- Lowers both cost per write operation and effective cost per GB stored
- Improves quality of service and increases customer satisfaction
- Reduces maintenance costs because less storage is needed
- Provides competitive differentiation
- Increases performance by lowering the cost per write operation, increasing effective DRAM cache size and reducing average read latency by utilizing algorithms designed specifically for flash environments
- Increases reliability by reducing the number of writes (translates to increased write cycles)
- Increases efficiency by lowering the effective cost per GB stored
Applicable Permabit Software
- High Performance Index Engine
- Solid State Disk Optimized Deduplication
- Virtual Block Mapping
- Thin Provisioning