Albireo for Enterprise Flash Cache
Enterprise Flash Cache Solutions are an important component of modern storage ecosystems. Flash is being used to accelerate performance in front of existing storage technology. Caching solutions use flash to provide high performance for active (hot) data, delivering I/O speeds that significantly improve access to mission critical data. As the data ages or becomes low use (cold) data it can be migrated off to less costly and more traditional mechanical storage. When data optimization (deduplication and compression) technologies are applied to Enterprise Flash Cache Solutions the effective size of the cache expands as data optimization removes duplicate data. The result is improved scale and improved overall performance. Vendors are just beginning to offer data optimization in data caching environments today, as data optimization becomes the enabler that improves the data cache scalability and delivers a more data dense offering, data caching will become more cost effective and will find broader market adoption. Data optimization technology designed for spinning disk-based primary or backup storage does not readily apply to devices based on flash technology. Permabit Albireo (VDO or SDK) for Enterprise Flash has been designed specifically to meet the demands of these I/O intensive devices using patented technology and algorithms that optimize resource efficiency in solid state environments.
Enterprise Cache Solutions are available in hardware (appliance) or software based solutions that use flash to provide high performance for active (hot) data and migrates low use (cold) data off to less costly, traditional mechanical storage.
- Improves the data density of the caching offering enabling more data to be stored in the caching appliance or datastore
- Improves quality of service and increases customer satisfaction
- Provides competitive differentiation
- Increases performance by reducing cost per I/O by utilizing algorithms designed specifically for flash environments
- Increases reliability by reducing the number of writes (translates to increased write cycles)
- Increases efficiency by delivering increased data density and lowering the effective cost per GB stored
Applicable Permabit Software
- High Performance Index Engine
- Solid State Disk Optimized Deduplication
- Virtual Block Mapping
- Thin Provisioning