Albireo Deduplication for RAID Controllers
Server-based RAID is a standard component of any IT operation. The efficiency of RAID controllers managing multiple storage arrays has increased many times over since their initial deployments. However, the performance optimization that RAID technology delivers has been leveling off.
With today’s continued data growth there is an excellent opportunity to boost RAID controller performance by adding an additional layer of data optimization — that layer is data deduplication. When applied to a RAID host bus adapter (HBA) at either the firmware or device-driver level, the added efficiency from dedupe substantially increases the volume of data that the HBA can manage. The resulting impact of deduplication on RAID controllers is to boost the overall performance of IT operations. Deduplication can consistently deliver a 5-35X data reduction, which not only improves overall capacity utilization, but also enhances RAID performance on writes.
- Delivers increased data efficiency across the entire data pool
- Improves utilization of existing data storage investments
- Reduces maintenance costs because less storage is needed
- Provides competitive differentiation with dedupe-enabled storage
- Increases performance by reducing the amount of data written to disk
- Increases reliability by reducing data I/O across all storage
- Does not impact existing technology differentiation
- Increases efficiency by lowering the effective cost per GB stored
Applicable Permabit Software
- High Performance Index Engine
- Hard Disk Optimized Deduplication
- Solid State Disk Optimized Deduplication