IDC estimates that by 2015 at least 20% of all data will be touched by the cloud, yet high connectivity costs and a shortage of available bandwidth will continue to keep cloud-based storage options out-of-reach for the majority of the world’s businesses. At the same time, the amount of data in the world continues to expand at 75% per year, far outpacing yearly declines in storage costs. Combined, these two factors translate to increased expense for data both in flight and at rest.
To address these challenges, storage OEMs need a way to optimize source data before transfer and then maintain in that optimized form on the target. Permabit’s answer to this problem is Albireo REPLICA, a remote file copy service that works in concert with Albireo VDO to provide data optimization for content both over the wire and at rest. REPLICA software optimizes data before it is copied to a VDO-enabled device running the REPLICA service. The result is industry-leading bandwidth optimization that surpasses the capabilities of other products on the market today.
How it Works
REPLICA consists of two components: a REPLICA client with access to the source data, and a REPLICA service running on a remote VDO-enabled storage target. When a file is sent these two components work in tandem with VDO to transfer only the unique source data needed to reconstruct the file on the target. If one or more blocks of the file already exist on the target — for instance if another version of the file exists on the server, or if an interrupted file transfer is resumed — those blocks will not be re-transmitted.
Once all of the file data exists on the storage target, VDO ensures that it remains in its optimized form. A REPLICA client can also replicate files to multiple VDO-enabled storage targets without any on-disk or over-the-wire rehydration of the data — saving bandwidth, processing cycles, and caching space.
A Complete Solution for Easy Implementation
REPLICA provides a complete, ready-to-run solution for Linux-based storage OEMs, with support for all major Linux versions used by the storage industry, providing the flexibility needed to deploy REPLICA anywhere and everywhere it is needed. The solution delivers everything needed for deploying advanced file-level replication, including binaries, management scripts, and full documentation.
Permabit provides full technical assistance to ensure rapid and seamless integration to deliver the solution quickly. Typically, REPLICA OEMs will have an operational solution on the first day of receiving the kit and can immediately begin tuning and testing for their specific configurations.
REPLICA can be used both for file replication between VDO-enabled storage devices and for remote file copy from any supported device to VDO-enabled storage.
REPLICA provides bandwidth optimized offsite replication of files between VDO-enabled storage devices. In the simplest case, files can be copied in their optimized format between two storage systems. Offsite replication is a critical component of any disaster preparedness strategy. REPLICA is designed to help OEMs address the operational and compliance requirements for remote replication by leveraging the built-in snapshotting capabilities of Linux and VDO data deduplication capabilities to ensure fast and efficient offsite replication. OEMs can support several replication topologies by combining REPLICA with VDO-enabled storage systems including:
- One-to-One: Source files are replicated from one storage system to another
- Bi-Directional: Files at one site are replicated to another site and vice-versa
- Many-to-One: Source files from different sites are replicated to a single site
- One-to-Many: A single source replicates files to many sites
- Chained: A source file can be replicated to another site and then transferred on to a third location
Remote VDO Copy/Migration
REPLICA can be used to copy files from any supported client, running either Windows or Linux OS, to VDO-enabled storage. In this scenario, REPLICA does not optimize files on the source storage media. Instead, file contents are reduced prior to transfer and then stored in optimized format on one or more target systems. This scenario is ideal for providing full backups of desktop or mobile devices, but also can be used to efficiently migrate files from legacy storage devices onto modern VDO-enabled storage devices. The resulting bandwidth optimization reduces overhead on local networks and lowers the cost of data transfers to the cloud.
- Leverages VDO data optimization to dramatically reduce bandwidth requirements for file copies.
- Works across local networks and in the cloud.
- Works in concert with VDO to ensure that optimized data remains optimized on the target, providing storage savings and operational efficiency.
Fast Route to Deployment
- Delivers “Instant bandwidth reduction” without changes to existing file systems or other storage or data management features.
- Fully compatible with existing VDO deployments.
- Supports popular Linux distributions for storage devices including CentOS, Debian, RedHat, and SuSE.
- Support for either Windows or Linux-based clients copying files to VDO-enabled storage.
- Leverages industry-leading Albireo data optimization to provide the greatest possible bandwidth optimization.
- Dramatically improves the efficiency of data management with an out-of-the-box solution.
- Cloud-ready, providing online service customers efficient data transfer and reduced storage cost.
- Delivers superior bandwidth optimization and performance.
- Optimizes files for transfer and keeps them optimized on target storage, locally or in the cloud
- Supports optimized file copy from the most popular Linux distributions
- Provides file-level replication between two or more storage devices running Albireo VDO
- Reduces bandwidth utilization for file copy
- Eliminates management complexity
- Extends and complements existing Linux storage features
- Leverages Albireo deduplication to reduce storage overhead requirements by over 90%
- Increases efficiency by reducing the effective cost per GB stored