Albireo Virtual Data Optimizer (VDO)
OEM Data Optimization Solutions for Next Generation Storage
Primary data is growing at over 75% per year and organizations are demanding new solutions that reduce primary storage expense. The market for Linux-based OEM storage has grown 300% over a 3 year period. But things are about to change. By leveraging data optimization techniques, “Big Storage” providers are beginning to deliver highly efficient storage at extremely low realized costs per GB, enabling them to be increasingly competitive. The challenge facing today’s value-oriented, Linux-based storage OEM is: how can they continue to leverage open source to compete effectively with larger competitors who have data optimization capabilities?
Data optimization is a capability that Linux-based storage vendors must incorporate to deliver competitive, cost-efficient storage solutions. Albireo Virtual Data Optimizer (Albireo VDO) provides the fastest route to market for block, file, and unified storage solutions. Albireo VDO is a complete data optimization solution powered by Permabit’s Albireo Data Optimization Software, a powerful sub-file deduplication solution, which is integrated with Linux to provide Linux storage OEMs with a complete ready-to-run data optimization capability.
Albireo VDO provides data deduplication and thin provisioning capabilities for Linux while enabling OEMs to continue leveraging all of their storage solutions’ existing features, including existing file systems, virtualization features, and data protection capabilities. Because Albireo VDO uses Permabit’s patented Albireo deduplication technology it is able to avoid costs associated with today’s “Big Storage” deduplication solutions that typically require large amounts of system memory and proprietary PCI Express cards to achieve even a fraction of Albireo’s scalability and performance.
A ready-to-run solution, Albireo VDO supports all major Linux versions used by the storage industry. The solution delivers everything needed for deploying enterprise data optimization capabilities, including binaries, open source code modifications, management scripts, and full documentation. The Permabit development team provides full technical assistance to ensure rapid and seamless integration. Typically, Linux-based Storage OEM customers will have an operational solution on the first day of receiving the kit and can immediately begin performance tuning and testing for their specific configurations.
Additional VDO Plug-Ins
VDO capabilities can be extended with data management enhancements via the following plug-ins:
- Albireo REPLICA, a remote file copy service that works in concert with Albireo VDO to provide data optimization for content both over the wire and at rest.
- Albireo COMPRESS, which works in conjunction with VDO to compact unique data, providing additional storage efficiency
- Provides out-of-the-box data optimization for Linux storage solutions
- Delivers data reduction benefits competitive with the “Big Storage” vendors
- Avoids requirements for proprietary hardware cards
- Provides “plug-and-play” integration
- Provides immediate data optimization capabilities for standard Linux
- Delivers industry-leading throughput
- Allows the OEM to offer significant cost savings to end-user customers
- Extends and complements existing Linux storage features
- Requires fewer hardware resources than any other solution available today