Permabit Announces Albireo™ High Performance Data Optimization Software; The Industry’s Only Embedded Solution Delivering Primary Data Deduplication
Albireo Was Created for Hardware/Software Storage OEMs Looking to Improve Their Data Optimization Solutions
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — June 7, 2010 — Permabit Technology Corporation, the leader in the development and delivery of Data Optimized Storage, today announced its Albireo High Performance Data Optimization Software. Permabit has multiple design wins with leading OEMs who will first deliver solutions to market by the end of 2010. Albireo becomes the industry’s first and only OEM embedded data optimization solution delivering high performance primary data deduplication. Albireo was created for hardware and software storage OEMs looking to improve their competitive position and protect margin by expanding upon their solutions with next generation data optimization.
In providing Albireo, Permabit has enabled OEMs to deploy sub–file deduplication technology that does not negatively impact storage performance, enables OEMs to continue to deploy their full feature set, and ensures data integrity is not impacted. This combination is unique in the industry!
Key elements of Permabit’s breakthrough Albireo High Performance Data Optimization Software include:
- High Performance Index Engine
- Massive scale with a scale-out grid storage architecture that can support petabytes of information.
- Patented two layer memory/disk index structure that delivers duplicate identification in microsecond times.
- 140+ megabytes per second per CPU core with linear scale–out capabilities to thousands of megabytes.
- Data integrity is maintained as data written to disk is not altered and integration occurs completely out of the data read path.
- Content Segmentation
- Variable–chunk segmentation with content aware scanning provides typical dedupe rates of 50% to 70%. For certain content types such as VMware® images, Albireo can reduce data by as much as 90% or more.
- Complete Software Development Kit for Easy Implementation
- Simple integration with as few as 6 API calls.
- Block, file and unified storage support.
- Inline, parallel or post-process integration.
- Extensive documentation and developer support.
“The Albireo technology from Permabit will save an OEM 18–24 months getting to market, if they can do it at all. This stuff is so far ahead in its capabilities and performance I can’t see why you would want to do it yourself, unless you already have it baked. Expect some big announcements from some big players offering primary dedupe based on Albireo as soon as this summer.”
~ Steve Duplessie, Founder & Sr. Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group, Inc.
“Data deduplication has far and away become the number one concern in terms of technology for data center managers. Each year Gartner conducts a survey at its Data Center Conference and for the past two years data deduplication has emerged by a two to one margin as the technology that will most affect storage infrastructure over the next three years. Simply put, any data storage solution moving forward that does not include primary storage data deduplication is a non–starter.”
~ Tom Cook, President & CEO, Permabit
“Companies have been wrestling with the concept of primary data deduplication for some time now, but have been unwilling to sacrifice performance in order to achieve this benefit. In order for deduplication to operate effectively at the primary level it must have no performance impact; no feature set loss; and no risk of data integrity. Albireo makes this possible.”
~ Jered Floyd, CTO & Founder, Permabit
Permabit is the leader in the development and delivery of Data Optimized Storage. It delivers Albireo, the only embedded high performance OEM data optimization software, as well as integrated solutions in the Permabit Enterprise Archive and Cloud Storage offerings. Permabit’’s Albireo High Performance Data Optimization Software enables OEMs to leverage their R&D investments, increase margin and accelerate time to market for next–generation unified storage platforms. Permabit was founded in 2000 by a technical and business team from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. For more information, visit: www.permabit.com.