- Download SSE
What is the Permabit Storage Savings Estimator (SSE)?
The Permabit Storage Savings Estimator (SSE) is a tool designed to scan your data set and measure the savings you can expect when utilizing primary storage systems that offer Permabit’s industry leading data reduction with deduplication and compression.
Why has Permabit made the SSE available for download?
Permabit has made the SSE available to download so that Permabit and its partners can:
- Help customers determine the impact of data reduction in their storage environment.
- Help customers determine where and when different types of data reduction (data deduplication and/or compression) make the most sense.
- Compare the effectiveness of Permabit data reduction to other data reduction solutions.
What is the benefit of using the Permabit SSE?
The Permabit SSE will help you to assess data reduction rates you should expect to see on specific volumes of data in your primary storage environment. This allows you to both better forecast your storage requirements going forward and to quantify the savings you will see when data reduction is enabled. Since results are reported separately for deduplication and compression, it’s a snap to determine whether a volume will benefit from deduplication, compression or both technologies combined.
How does the Permabit SSE work?
The Permabit SSE scans your filesystem using Permabit’s award-winning massively-scalable Albireo Deduplication Index to identify any previously seen 4K data blocks. HIOPS Compression algorithm is then applied only where needed to unique blocks. Estimated results of the combined deduplication and compression savings are then displayed in the SSE interface. (see figure 2)
How is the Permabit SSE deployed?
The Permabit SSE is delivered as a 64-bit Microsoft Windows application, installed via the standard Microsoft Software installation process. The easy-to-use Windows-based graphical user interface can be used to analyze file systems that are local or remote mounted.
Can I use the Permabit SSE to compare the effectiveness of data reduction products?
Yes, absolutely! We’ve made the Permabit SSE available as a free download so that Permabit customers and partners can compare the effectiveness of Permabit data reduction to that of other data reduction solutions.
Can I share my Permabit SSE results publicly?
When you accept the Permabit SSE software license, you acknowledge that all results are confidential between your organization and Permabit. Before you share your results publicly, or with a third party organization, you must obtain authorization from Permabit. You can request authorization by emailing us at email@example.com.
Do you have a similar tool I can run on Linux?
Yes. Permabit has a storage efficiency assessment tool (Albscan for Linux) that can be run directly from the 64 bit Linux command line. You may request a copy of Albscan for Linux by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What makes Permabit’s Data Reduction solutions unique?
Permabit delivers the fastest, most scalable, and most resource-efficient data reduction solutions in the world, enabling leading storage OEMs, ODMs, Cloud Service Providers, Software-Defined Storage Vendors, and end users to get to market quickly with products that grow their business and advance their competitive edge.
System Requirements and Installation
- 64-bit Windows 7 Professional or higher
- 64-bit Windows Server 2008 or higher
Additional Software Required:
- The Microsoft Visual C++ Libraries must be installed using the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012. The libraries are available at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679
- The Microsoft .NET Framework must be installed. The files are available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653
- 1 GB Storage: 25 GB (for the Index)
- User must have administrator rights to the local machine and to the volumes/directories being scanned
Running the Installer
To install SSE software:
- Double-click EstimatorSetup-version.msi to launch the installer.
- Click Next to view the End-User License Agreement.
- Review and accept the License Agreement, and then click Next .
- If necessary, click Browse to select a new install location.
SSE is installed in C:Program Files (x86)Permabit Storage Savings Estimator by default.
- Click Next to continue.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
The installer displays a progress bar, and then indicates when the install is complete.
- Click Finish to close the installer.
Upon successful installation, an application shortcut to SSE is placed on the desktop; it will also appear in the Windows Start menu.
Please fill in the information requested in the fields below. Upon completion, you will be e-mailed a link to the file location. This may take up to an hour. Your information will not be shared with anyone outside Permabit.
Feel free to contact us with questions.